Just 2 short months away from hurricane season and it's time for the 2nd annual hurricane sock party hosted by Christy
. I had a blast participating last year and looking forward to this year's ever so much.
Now to answering the questions for my pal:
1. Already met the requirements of question #1...NO HURRICANES!
2. If your pet(s) wrote a paragraph about you to describe you to us what would they say? (If you have no pets then just pretend you husband or best friend wrote it! This is a 3rd person writing exercise that is always fun.)Ruff Ruff, bark , bark. OK all kidding aside, this is a hard question...my dog would say that he is the only one in the family that doesn't get any knitted items. And I'm a type personality who likes to procrastinate and can easily be swayed by the next pretty pattern I see. Just take a gander at the long list on the back burner!
3. What is your favorite hurricane supplies snack?I'm a chocoholic...enough said...but I especially like dark chocolate!
4. Do sock patterns normally fit you "as written" or do you usually modify them for size in any way? (other than foot length)Patterns usually fit me although for some odd reason the cuff always seems a bit big. But that's not just for me. It's also for DH and E. I did finally buy some invisible sock elastic but have yet to try it.
4a. What are your foot measurements, not just shoe size? (Measure the length of your foot from heel to toe, then the ball of your foot. )Foot size is 5 1/2 to a 6, heel to toe is 7 in and total foot is 8 1/2in and foot circumference is 7 1/2in (and that is generous).
5. What one city abroad would you visit and why if money was no object? (and terrorism was non-existant)I would love to actually go to Tahiti to the resort with the huts over the blue, blue water. Though I'm presently reading "Eat, Pray, Love" and becoming sorely tempted by all the talk of Rome.
6. Do you wear socks all year round or just during the winter? Do you prefer them tall or short or regular height?I wear socks all year round (even in Florida because DH and E. like the house really cold and my feet get extremely cold). I do not like tall socks at all....sort of in between regular and short.
7. The last time the power was out during hurricane season (or bad weather of any kind) did you knit by lantern or were you lucky enough to knit to the humm of a generator? Or did you knit at all?I'm embarrassed to say that we were one of the very, very fortunate people who didn't lose power at any time when hurricanes came through our area. But to get in the overall mood, I did light candles and still knitted. And now I have the earbud light from the Discovery Store...I can knit in the car after dark!
8. Make a wish for your favorite sock yarn that you've already used once. What would it be? ? Dont be shy about listing an exact colorway or two if you'd like.Now that I have tried Black Bunny Fiber I really love the touch and feel. The yarn was custom dyed for me (no idea what the colorway name is) to actually make a shawl but I had more than enough to use for my Bloomin' Sock Pal.
9. What is it about sock knitting that keeps you wanting to knit more and more socks?It is a feeling that comes over you...I remember that I just was dying to learn how to knit socks two summers ago. I couldn't wait for a class at my LYS so I got Socks, Socks, Socks from the library and away I went. And have never looked back.
10. Make a wish for a sock yarn that you are dying to try but haven't bought for yourself yet. (be specific,even colorway if you'd like)There are a number of sock yarns that I would love to try but haven't gotten around to it yet, some are hard to come by, most of the LYSs in FL don't carry a lot of sock yarn so I usually get mine online. I've heard a lot of great things about the following: JKnits (Tampa or Kansas colorways), Seacoast Handpainted, Shelridge Farm, Claudia's Handpainted (Chocolate-covered cherries), Zen Yarn Garden, Sweet Georgia Yarns, Urban Gypsz, and Yarntini. My favorite color is purple so you can't go wrong with any colorway that incorporates it.
11. What size needles do you knit socks for YOURSELF with the most? Are they circular or bamboo needles? What brand?I had preferred size 3...last year my loving hubby for my birthday got me a Lantern Moon double-pointed needle roll/case filled with lantern moon rosewood needles. So I'm all set with double pointed needles. I just learned how to knit socks on circulars both on two and Magic Loop. Hate to say it but not sure that I'll go back to double points because of two words...no ladders.
12. If you could only take 3 yarn related books and one previously knitted project that you love with you when you evacuated what would they be?Sensational Socks (endless possible patterns), Loop d Loop (patterns are outside the box), and Folk Socks (love Nancy Bush)...previously knitted project would have to be my Flower Basket Shawl (first lace project and my most satisfying knitted project and challenge to date) although I might also like to sneak along my first toe-up socks in STR.
13. What knitting notion do you wish you had that you just keep putting off getting for yourself?I've been itching to learn how to spin...does a spindle count? Otherwise I'm all set with notions.
14. What is your favorite tv show?I have several so I can't pick just one...24, Lost, Prison Break and Grey's Anatomy.
15. Do you want a lacey sock or a "solid fabric" sock from your hurricane partner?Lacey would be a great addition for a change of pace.
16. It's midnight and the power has been off for two days, its hot, and you have a craving for something sweet! What would it be? (This is a FOOD related question ladies! LOL)Well it would probably be chocolate number one and tomatoes number two. Only thing I craved while I was pregnant.
17. Tell us a story about any of your hurricane weather related experiences.We ran away from Charlie...we were scheduled to go on vacation the day after Charlie was supposed to hit so we packed up the car and went a day early up to Georgia (on our way to NC). We spent the day at Stone Mountain when Charlie hit and only learned what was going on from my father-in-law in Tucson. It actually turned out to be our best vacation ever!
18. What was the one thing you wish you had remembered to get last year for hurricane supplies that you swore you wouldn't forget this year?Lots of peanut butter and we really need to have more water on hand.
19. What color sock would you like to receive from your sock partner? (if you don't have a pref just say so otherwise give us a hint!)Purple but really any color is fantastic as long as it is NOT ORANGE!
20. Thanks Christy for hosting and supporting all of the hurricane knitters for a second year!