Knit Happened

Monday, July 18, 2005

Sock It to Me

Moved right along with my sock pal's crusoe socks in Diamusee fine. managed to get all the way to turning the heel when I decided to test the waters and try it on. No amount of give was going to get this sucker on. No wonder...I was so excited to get the sock started I neglected to do one very important task...GAUGE! So a froggin' we will go. I will need to get myself size 2 double-pointeds and really want to get another set of Brittany's so I will be close to a LYS on the other side of the bay tomorrow during lunch. Then I can get started once again. The pattern is really great and easy...looking forward to making my pair in the koigu that I liberated from Cast on Cottage. Here is my sock pal's sock pre-frog so you can see the patterning:


Crusoe for my sock pal pre-frog Posted by Picasa

I didn't let this setback spoil my knitting pleasure this weekend. I picked up my size 5's and started to knit up Alison's ankle sock pattern after my recent purchase of Cascade Fixation at Knit N Knibble. I am really digging the feel for this thread...tug, tug, tug...making that stitch tight! However, I needed to frog this one and start again as it was my first attempt at a short row heel. I used Priscilla Gibson-Roberts' yarn-over method and it was an utter disaster with a capital D. So I started again and decided to try the wrap method but this time I put in a lifeline. Didn't need it so I am on to the foot. This pair of denim'ish socks will be going up to NC to my friend Adria once they are done, which looks like it will be a fast knit!


Ankle sock fwith Cascade Fixation Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger alison said…

    Great job on that heel! Too bad that the Crusoe sock had to go. Better luck on the second try!

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Saffista said…

    Wow. Those are beautiful socks. I may have to make myself a pair!

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    I'm considering the Crusoe pattern for my pal - I've heard it can be tight and doesn't have a lot of give, so don't feel bad! The sock was beautiful!

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger Phoebe said…

    Thanks everyone for the vote of confidence! No Brittany #2s at Flying Needle in Belleair so I need to wait till Sat to get to my other LYS to recast Crusoe. But digging Alison's ankle socks in the meantime. Amanda has it right I do have a fixation on fixation!

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Karlie said…

    I found the same thing when I tried to make Crusoe socks, that they were WAY too small. I guess my gauge was off too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home